Although there is no single study guide, the List of Resources included in the NBCSN Handbook for Candidates may be helpful in preparing. Many of those resources are available on the NASN website and through the NASN bookstore. Please note that while there are a number of exam prep materials available both free and for a fee, there is no requirement to use them in order to take the exam.
To guide preparation efforts, please plan to review the test blueprint found in the candidate handbook (link above).
No Cost – Suggested for All:
- Candidate Handbook, including the List of Resources
- NASN National Exam Candidates Discussion Group/Online Study Group via the NASN School Nurse Net discussion board (NASN membership is NOT required)
- Challenge the School Nurse Archived Questions
- Test Taking Techniques course from NurseBuilders
For Purchase Through NBCSN:
- Online Practice Exams from NBCSN
- School Nursing Certification Review book from NBCSN. By Selekman, J., and Cogan, R. (2020).
- NCSN Certification Review E-Course by Dr. Janice Selekman. This review course has been developed with NurseBuilders, a recognized exam prep and continuing education company.
- School Nurse Study Cards, Review Course Audio CD, also in conjunction with NurseBuilders.
- Nursing Certification Exam Preparation Studying, Anxiety Management, Test Taking Techniques from Nurse Builders 50-minute course for $10.00 with 1.0 ANCC contact hour.
- Live Streaming Video Review Courses are also available for larger groups such as State or Regional Conferences through NurseBuilders
- Live, In-person Certification Courses with Janice Selekman, will be available and scheduled with NBCSN when live meetings are feasible again.
If you are interested in taking the exam via remote proctor, we recommend you visit the PSI remote proctoring web page.
Successful candidates note that, in addition to reflecting on their own professional practices, they reviewed relevant books and web-based resources, including but not limited to:
- NASN Position Statements
- Forming a study group with other candidates from your area
- NBCSN Exam Resource List – this is a list of references used to develop exam questions
Please note that the suggestions above are not exhaustive, and review will not guarantee success for every candidate. NBCSN only publishes the revised certification review book (2020) and two practice tests, and recommends the NurseBuilders programs. NBCSN does not endorse any other specific study guide or program. No study materials can guarantee that you will pass the national NCSN exam.