Although there is no single study guide, the List of Resources included in the Handbook for Candidates may be helpful in preparing. Many of those resources are available on the NASN website and through the NASN bookstore.
To guide preparation efforts, please plan to review the test blueprint found in the candidate handbook.
No Cost – Suggested for All:
- Handbook for Candidates including the List of Resources
- Exam Prep Infographic
- NASN National Exam Candidates Discussion Group/Online Study Group via the NASN School Nurse Net discussion board (NASN membership is NOT required)
- Test Taking Techniques course from NurseBuilders
- Online Practice Exams from NBCSN (see below)
- School Nursing Certification Review book from NBCSN. By Selekman, J., and Cogan, R. (2020). NOW AVAILABLE
- NCSN Certification Review E-Course by Dr. Janice Selekman. This review course has been developed in conjunction with NurseBuilders, a recognized exam prep and continuing education company. Available now!
- School Nurse Study Cards will be available soon, as will a Review Course Audio CD, also in conjunction with NurseBuilders.
- Live Streaming Video Review Courses are also available for larger groups such as State or Regional Conferences through NurseBuilders
- Live, In-person Certification Courses with Janice Selekman, will be available and scheduled with NBCSN when live meetings are feasible again.
Online Practice Exams – Now Available for Purchase
Test with confidence by preparing with the NCSN practice exams.
- NCSN Practice Exam 1 – $75
- NCSN Practice Exam 2 – $75
- NCSN Practice Exams 1 and 2 Bundle – $120
To purchase the practice exams, you will need to create an NBCSN account. The practice exams are available for purchase on the application page of your account.
For more information about the Practice Exams click here
Successful candidates note that, in addition to reflecting on their own professional practices, they reviewed relevant books and web-based resources, including but not limited to:
- NASN Position Statements
- Forming a study group with other candidates from your area
- NBCSN Exam Resource List – this is a list of references used to develop exam questions
Please note that the suggestions above are not exhaustive, and review will not guarantee success for every candidate. NBCSN only publishes the revised certification review book (2020) and two practice tests, and recommends the NurseBuilders programs. NBCSN does not endorse any other specific study guide or program. No study materials can guarantee that you will pass the national NCSN exam.
UPDATE ON PRINT MATERIALS AVAILABLE FROM NASN
Shipping Update: Please note that NASN will ship to home addresses only at this time. Shipments to school buildings have been returning to the NASN office as undeliverable. Please help us get your shipment delivered. You may contact NASN with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Updated 06/02/2020.