Welcome to NBCSN
School Nursing Certification
Professional certification provides an ongoing, quality credentialing process for eligible school nurses. Certification assures a national standard of preparation, knowledge, and practice.
The National Board for Certification of School Nurses (NBCSN) endorses the concept of voluntary certification by examination for all school nurses. Professional certification in school nursing provides an ongoing, quality credentialing process for eligible school nurses. Certification represents a national standard of preparation, knowledge, and practice. To assist with this recognition, the NBCSN provides the opportunity for school nurses to set the standards for their specialty area through voluntary professional certification.
The Mission of the National Board for Certification of School Nurses, Inc. (NBCSN) is to advance the health and learning of students, and wellness of the school community, through a rigorous national certification process for school nurses.
NBCSN’s vision is that a nationally certified school nurse will safeguard the health of every student so as to optimize learning and promote healthy communities.
The purposes for which NBCSN is organized are to:
- Develop, administer and evaluate a certification process for school nurses.
- Measure and establish a national standard for the level of knowledge and skill required for competent practice in school nursing;
- Determine eligibility requirements for and develop the content of a rigorous examination in order to identify school nurses who demonstrate competence in this specialty practice; and
- Provide recognition to those individuals who meet the eligibility requirements and pass the national certification examination for school nurses by awarding the credential, Nationally Certified School Nurse (NCSN);
- Develop, administer and evaluate a recertification process for school nurses to provide a national standard for continuing competence in school nursing and promote life long learning;
- Assure quality standards for the NCSN certification program by maintaining ongoing accreditation; and
- Advocate the value of national school nurse certification to key stakeholders.